Safety First, a division of Behavioral Health Systems, Inc. (BHS), was formed in 1991 and is headquartered in Birmingham, AL. Its ownership reflects the founding efforts of Deborah L. Stephens, BHS’ Chairman and CEO. BHS maintains the distinction of being the only Behavioral Health Organization with a drug testing division.
Safety First offers a comprehensive drug testing/screening program which provides testing for reasonable cause, post-accident, return-to-duty, pre-employment and random sampling. All services are coordinated through the BHS/Safety First central office in compliance with SAMSHA Drug Free Workplace regulations. Safety First administers all laboratory testing/collection/Medical Officer Review (MRO) services, centralizes claims processing and management results, and offers an electronic-random selection process.
Over its 25+ years of operation, Safety First has achieved certain benchmarks of growth and success to the benefit of our clients. These include:
- Superior cost savings over our industry competitors (20% average);
- The sole endorsement of three regional business coalitions/associations (1991-present);
- Over 15,000 collection sites nationwide which ensures maximum freedom of choice;
- Quadrupled sales growth since 2002;
- An excellent reputation in the industry which continues to generate publicity and attention;
- A diversified revenue base (48 states/1,000+ clients);
- A staff turnover rate averaging less than 3% per year since inception.